Energy Efficiency At Home: Water Heater

Your water heater’s efficiency is measured in EF (efficiency factor), which is determined by the amount of hot water produced per unit of fuel consumed over a typical day. For example a gas water heater with an EF of .67 is using 67% of the gas fuel to heat the water. The other 33% is being wasted. The higher the energy factor, the more efficient the water heater.

The location of the water heater is also important. Interior closets are best; water heaters located in unconditioned spaces like garages and attics should be wrapped with insulation to lessen the impact of cold air.

According to ENERGY STAR, “the average household spends about $400-$600 per year on water heating – making it the second largest energy expenditure behind heating and cooling.” See below for the different types of water heaters.

Our Home Energy Evaluation will show you the types and locations of your water heaters, including their EF. We’ll also note whether the water heaters are insulated or not.

Green Scene Home Inspections


Dallas Office

8350 N Central Expressway Suite 1900

Dallas, TX 75206

(214) 796-7707

TREC #10417

Richardson Office

2100 Alamo Rd.

Suite T, Unit #101

Richardson, TX 75080


TREC #10417

Fort Worth Office

1201 Evans Ave #305
Ft Worth 76104

TREC #10417

Austin Office

14425 Falcon Head Blvd

Austin, TX 78738


TREC #22338

Tel:  (888) 276-2731

Fax: (214) 206-9092

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn